Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cell Phones in the Classroom

I think cell phone use should be banned from the classroom. There is enough technology available in schools and classrooms that using a small electronic device is only going to distract the students away from the teacher. Just as Josh Allen said, "I'm not going to spend the time on the fact that students would most likely use them for the purposes other than education." Having kids pull out and use their cell phones in class is also just another way of one student showing off their money.

The one question I have is in the situation of a student expecting an important call. I know I will have my cell phone on at all time but will not use it until after class is over. I will not answer the phone unless I am expecting a VERY IMPORTANT call so I expect my students to do the same. I understand that sometimes your phone might go off because you forgot to silence it but if it goes off a second time, we will have problems. I just don't believe that as of now, cell phones should be used as an educational tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment