Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cyberbullying

With the increases in access to electronics, students have been able to adapt with the changes in technology. People have been able to find new ways to attack others they don't like through their electronic devices. Cyberbulling has become a huge problem with kids in schools these days. Cyberbullying "involves the use of information and communication technologies to support diliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior by an individual or group, that is interested to harm others." (Bill Besley). It has become a huge problem in schools these days with 42% of children between the ages of 12-17 reporting having dealt with cyberbullying (Lichau). I personally have never dealt with it, that I know of. This kind of supprises me because I have grown up with facebook and facebook seems like it could be an open forum for cyberbullying. Maybe I have dealt with it at some point, but I just don't remember.

Schools today must understand the signs of cyberbullying and how to deal with them. Like I said earlier, we live in a cyber-world. We can either use that fact to our advantage or let it ruin our classrooms. Kids have so much access to the internet and cell phones that cyberbullying is a way for people to bully others. Legally cyberbullying standards are being designed and improved but it can be considered the same as regular bullying. As a teacher, I want to be a person that someone would feel comfortable coming to if they are being cyberbullied. If the cyberbullying is occuring off campus, but a student still comes to me, I think we as teachers need to step in and take action because it will limit the students attention in class. The bullied student will be thinking about the bullying rather than the topic at hand.

When I become a teacher, I hope to proactive rather than reactive to cyberbullying. I will guide people to choose to deal with their problems before bullying becomes an issue. I think if I give the students of extreme examples of cyberbullying then they will be less likely to take part. I will talk to the students about the effects of cyberbullying but I will deal with individuals as it occurs. I would like to involve more than just my classroom but I also realize that is probably a bigger task than I am ready to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment